BUTLER COUNTY COMMON PLEAS COURT
POSITION TITLE: Pre-Trial Officer I
JOB LOCATION: 315 High Street Third Floor Hamilton, Ohio 45011
SALARY RANGE: $44,000 Annually ($22.56 an hour)
DATE: 01/12/2022 till filled
APPROVED BY: Wayne G. Gilkison, Court Administrator
I. Job Function and Summary - See attached
II. Minimum Qualifications
A. Education, Experience and Training
1. Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university with major course work in Criminal Justice, Corrections, Social Work or related field preferred.
2. Prior experience in Law Enforcement or related field may be considered.
3. Experience in operation of computers and related equipment preferred.
B. Knowledge and Skills
1. Knowledge of the principals of community corrections.
2. Knowledge of the principals, methods, techniques and practices of probation casework.
3. Knowledge of the psychological concepts of behavior, social adjustment and emotional stability.
4. Knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations related to probation.
5. Skills to collect, compile, review and evaluate information and prepare reports.
6. Skill to effectively interview and counsel offenders and to provide liaison between offenders and other entities.
7. Skill to conduct probation investigations and report the results accurately and impartially.
8. Skill in public address.
9. Skill to communicate ideas and instructions clearly and concisely.
10. Skill to coordinate with other staff, departments, officials, agencies, organizations and the public.
III. Additional Requirements With or Without Reasonable Accommodation
A. Ability to climb stairs, walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, speak, analyze, alphabetize, lift and carry under 15 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle, operate motor equipment and use of firearms.
B. Conditions include working inside, working around machines with moving parts and moving objects, radiant and electrical energy, chemicals used for urinalysis, working closely with others, working alone, working protracted or irregular hours, and traveling by car, van, bus or airplane.
C. Equipment (machines, tools and devices) used in performing only the essential functions include computer and related equipment, typewriter, calculator, copier, fax machine, urinalysis equipment, telephone and automobile.
IV. Application Process
Submit a departmental application; which may be obtained on the Butler County Common Pleas Court website (www.bccommonpleas.org). The application is located under the employment opportunities tab.
You may also mail a detailed resume’, completed application, along with cover letter to:
Government Services Center, 3rd Floor
315 High Street
Hamilton, Ohio 45011
***All applications submitted via the postal service must be post marked by the closing date**
BUTLER COUNTY COMMON PLEAS
315 High Street,
Hamilton, Ohio 45011
CLASSIFICATION TITLE: PRETRIAL OFFICER I
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full
CIVIL SERVICE STATUS: Unclassified WORK SCHEDULE: 7.5 hours daily
REPORTS TO: Division Manager Schedule determined by Manager
SALARY: $44,000 annually ($22.56 per hour)
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Court Administration, will cover all criminal court dockets to ensure information is accurately relayed between the Court and the other offices of the Court; facilitate the operations of the specialized dockets; and may be assigned other duties by the Manager of Court Administration or the Court Administrator
MAJOR DUTIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Serves as a liaison between the specialized docket judges, judicial staff, probation officers, community treatment partners, prosecutors and defense attorneys;
- Coordinates with treatment teams to receive and compile reports for staffings and status review hearings;
- Assists in the implementation of the policies and procedures of the specialized dockets in accordance with the program description;
- Processes referrals to the specialized dockets accurately and in a timely manner;
- Maintains specialized docket administrative files, prepares and disseminates program handbooks and participation agreements;
- Schedules all specialized docket hearings in the case management system;
- Tracks and records participant progress through the phases of each docket;
- Maintains statistics as deemed necessary by the Court, Court Management and the Supreme Court of Ohio.
Butler County Common Pleas
PreTrial Officer I
- Attends regular criminal court dockets;
- Facilitates the transmission of information between the courts and the other offices of the court;
- Schedules and ensures that assessments are completed and provided to the sentencing Judge for Intervention in Lieu of Conviction motions;
- Provides information regarding referrals, pretrial supervision, presentence investigations, probation supervision and specialized docket staffings to the Judge when needed;
- Performs observed urine screens for same sex defendants if ordered by the Judge.
- May be assigned special duties by the Court, Manager of Court Administration, or Court Administrator;
- Create an open, orderly and professional work area; maintain forms, files and records in an organized manner;
- Demonstrate superior organizational and time management skills; reliability and punctuality;
- Ability to work collaboratively and constructively in a team environment;
- Maintain confidentiality in regards to cases pending in Common Pleas Court and refrain from discussion of any court related matters by any means of communication including social media;
- Perform all other duties as deemed necessary by appointing authority or their designee.
B.A. or B.S. Degree in Corrections, Social Work, Criminal Justice or related field. Prior experience and education in Law Enforcement or related field may be considered.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Must have and maintain a valid Ohio driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIROMENT:
Exposure to general office chemicals; possible contact with potentially violent or emotionally distraught persons; exposure to threatening situations; work in the proximity of use of firearms; potentially vicious animals in the community; or handle urine and exposure to bodily fluids.
Butler County Common Pleas
PreTrial Officer I
COURT EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEE:
In completing the duties and responsibilities of this position, the Court expects the incumbent will adhere to all Court policies, guidelines, practices and procedures; be conscientious about meeting Court productivity standards, communicate regularly with supervisor or manager about Court issues; model high ethical conduct on and off the job, exhibit a professional and respectful demeanor with all Court employees, the public, defendants or other persons whom we come in contact with.
This position description in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed by the position incumbent. The incumbent will be required to follow the instructions and perform the duties required by the incumbent’s supervisor, appointing authority or designee.
My signature below signifies that I have reviewed and understand the contents of my position description. I am aware of the requirements of my position, and will perform to the best of my ability the job duties and requirements specified in this position description.
(Employee Signature) (Date)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled